- Elimination or minimization of machining
- Elimination or minimization of scrap losses
- Maintains close dimensional tolerances
- Accommodates a wide variety of alloy systems
- Produces good surface finishes
- Produces materials that can be heat-treated for increased strength or wear resistance
- Provides controlled porosity for self-lubrication or filtration
- Facilitates the manufacture of complex or unique shapes which would be difficult or impossible to produce with other metalworking processes
- Suited to moderate to high volume component production requirements
- Offers long-term performance reliability in critical applications
- Cost effective
AdvantagesPowder metallurgy (P/M) is an efficient and versatile method for manufacturing ferrous and non-ferrous machine parts and electrical and electronic components By mixing powders and compacting the mixture in a die, the resulting shapes are sintered, that is, heated in a controlled-atmosphere furnace to bond the particles metallurgically.
The diagram on the left shows the P/M process, which is cost effective in producing simple or complex parts at, or very close to, final dimensions in a variety of production rates ranging from a few hundred to several thousand parts per hour.
SMC Powder Metallurgy allows its customers to realize significant savings on a wide range of P/M products.
SMC maintains a modern and well equipped tool room capable of performing all tooling maintenance and repairs as well as some new tool construction.
• 3D Capabilities
• Simple Stress Analysis
• Autodesk Inventor (3D Modeling & Assembly)
• Esprit (linked to Inventor)
• 2D Auto-Cad
• Rapid Prototypes
• 11 Presses ranging from 45 – 825 max ton.
• Single level to six levels.
• Warm Pressing Capabilities.
• Automated green part handling
• Automated part weighing
• Automated part measurement
Sizing / Coining Capabilities
• 5 Presses ranging from 45 – 200 max ton.
*In Addition, SMC also has an assembly machine, which is used to press two parts into a single assembly.
• 9 furnaces total
• Atmosphere controlled sintering (Hydrogen & Nitrogen) & (100% Hydrogen)
• High temperature sintering up to 2400F
*Our Cooling systems are “closed looped” – Making it non-damaging to the environment, and ‘GREEN’ technology.
• CMM’s (Automated and Manual)
• Density Scales
• Automated Robotic Vision System (Multi-Camera)
• Resonant Inspection System
• Data Collection System
• Gear Measurement System
In-house Secondary Capabilities
• Vibratory Finishing • Rust Inhibit Dip
• Oil Impregnation
• Sinter Bonding
Outside Secondary Capabilities
• Heat Treating
• Induction Hardening
• Ultra Sonic Cleaning
• Grit Blasting
• Steam Treating
• Color Coding
• Black Oxide
• E – Coating
• Staking, Riveting and Swaging
• Shot Peening
• High Energy Tumble
**SMC produces Nitrogen, in its own Nitrogen facility.